Located on the eastern shore of Lake Huron, Goderich is renowned for the beauty of its sunsets. Queen Elizabeth II once commented that Goderich was "The Prettiest Town in Canada". The town indicates that tourism is among its important industries. As of 2008, the population is 8,000. The area of the town is 7.91 square kilometres.
Goderich was founded by William "Tiger" Dunlop in 1827. First laid out in 1828, the town is named after Frederick John Robinson, 1st Viscount Goderich, who was British prime minister at the time. The town was officially incorporated in 1850.
Goderich's downtown has an octagonal traffic circle known as 'The Square'. The county courthouse stands in the middle of The Square.
The Huron Historic Gaol is a National Historic Site. It served as the region's gaol (old English form of jail) from its opening in 1842 until 1972. It is open to the public between April and October.
The Huron County Museum is a community museum which offers modern exhibition galleries. Permanent exhibits depict the early settlement and development of Huron County. The museum also collects and maintains the Huron County Archives.
The Marine Museum, which is open in July and August, is dedicated to the lifestyle and culture of those who made a living on Lake Huron, highlighting The Great Storm of 1913. Admission to this museum is included in the entry fee for the Huron County Museum.